Monday, July 30, 2012

Popularity Contest

When I first started making these clay keychains... I invested a lot of time in making these little bears that would each hold a unique item. For those of you who have been on my Etsy's site, you would know that I have more items that feature bears than anything else.

However, sometimes I randomly made other things, such as a duck... robots... aliens... or turtles.

Like... this one.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/104335486/turtle-charm?ref=af_shop_favitem

This one I made on a total whim. I felt like I needed a break from making all these teddy bears, so I thought I would make something random. Green happened to be the first color I picked up so... turtle it was. After making it, I didn't even really think I did a good job on it. It wasn't made very well, and I messed up on the bottom. The stomach was so big that the legs didn't even really stick out enough to be considered legs.

Fatty legs that don't even touch the ground. XD

But... I thought, since I made it, I might as well go through with it and put it on the web.

The results surprised me. 

I definitely did not expect so many people to like this little turtle. Personally, I find the teddy bears more endearing and cute... but I obviously don't know my own customer audience. I guess that's what makes business interesting, huh? Over the past few weeks, the item that has gotten the most "likes" and "favorites" has definitely been this little turtle. And, I must say, I am pleasantly surprised by this.



I wonder what it is about this turtle that people like. If you guys have any idea... let me know. :P I need to do mor markt research, I feel like. Haha. XD

Sometimes this makes me wonder if I should hold off on making bears and start making some other items. But then... I don't really know what other animals to make. More turtles? Haha. XD

Perhaps.

4 comments:

  1. it's because teddy bears are cute but kinda...typical? haha people like cute animals that are more unusual and your turtle is so cute because he's chubby!! maybe things like penguins or pandas or an octopus or something, you know? think of disney movies...people liked the jellyfish in finding nemo right? or penguins in happy feet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo... Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try some of those ideas, and hopefully post them up soon. ;) Thanks!

      Delete
  2. i love green! the turtle's very cute. i think inanimate objects with faces are cute...like refrigerators...or something. or even just everything objects like buttons. but maybe i'm just weird :D o or birds! which are a little anatomically tricky, but very cute. keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! I like that idea! :) Okay, I shall try these as well. Thanks!

      Delete