Thursday, December 6, 2012

Finding Time to Make Art

Hello world!

Again... It's been a while. Now, I would say... "I've been very busy. So busy, that I haven't had time to update this blog!" And... despite that being very true... I still feel like it will just end up sounding like an excuse for not blogging. 

Excuse or no excuse... I wanted to share a little art project I did a while back. My friend from church had a baby shower (the baby has already been born, healthy and happy, praise the Lord!!) a month or so ago, and one of the activities that we did included decorating a onesie.

That day I arrived late to the event because I had work earlier during the day. And so, when I had arrived, the event was pretty much winding down. I looked at some of my friend's onesies--and they were amazing! So. I resolved. I wanted to do something amazing too! Haha.

Well, in all honestly, I was kinda wondering if mine would look sorta lame compared to my friend's. But, luckily, I had one thing to my advantage: Totoro. :)

I don't know if you guys all know the Japanese movie, My Neighbor Totoro, but the character from the movie looks like this: 



Well, the character looks like the big grey and white one, sometime wearing a leaf on his (or it's?? ) head. Here's another picture of some of the characters from the movie (these pictures are totally unnecessary... but I really like this one cuz its super cute. :D )


Now, why did I have an advantage, you ask? Well. This couple happens to LOVE Totoro. So, I was pretty sure as long as I drew a giant Totoro somewhere on the shirt... it would be well accepted.

In any case, knowing myself and my perfectionist attitude when it comes to art, I didn't want to just slap on Totoro and call it a night. I wanted something that had a big impact, and something that looked... I dunno... AWESOME? Haha.

So, after looking through many, many pictures... I finally sat down and drew my first onesie:


I wanted the Totoro to be super bold... but with the markers I was using... the color wasn't super solid. Which made me rather unhappy. Close up, you could see all the areas where I shaded multiple times, and there were these bags underneath and around Totoro's eyes. Very not cool. :(

So, I tried another one. This time, featuring a little girl in a Totoro costume trying her best to fool Totoro:

I liked this one better, just because it kinda was more original and had a little "story" to it. I was getting more and more comfortable with using the markers on the shirt, so I think the coloring turned out a little bit better on this one as well. Up to this point, all my Totoro's were blue. One reason was because that was my personal favorite color. Haha. The other reason was because I didn't have grey to work with. And I felt like blue was more suited to replace grey, more than any other color.
I still had one more onesie left to decorate. I had completely ran out of ideas by now, and so I kinda left this one blank for a while. Then, when I was talking to my parents and showing them the other designs, my dad said: why don't you make a baby Totoro?

It made sense: the onesie was for a baby, soo... why not? This time I finally used another color for Totoro because I thought that I really needed to stop using blue. Haha. I chose red cuz... well... it looks more girly? Haha. Here's what I came up with:




Totoro with a pacifier, a milk bottle, and his very own blankie. :) I was actually quite pleased with this
one in terms of the color overall image. Plus, by this time, I was able to get a nice solid color with the markers I was using (I tried to go over the first Totoro with blue marker, using the same technique, but it just made things worse. Haha. XD ).

Anywhoo. Long post this time. Cuz I had lots to share. Haha. More coming soon! Eh well, maybe I shouldn't promise too much. :P But I'll try! I don't have anymore hardcore studying to do anymore, so hopefully I'll have more time to post. :)

If anyone's reading this, and is truly bored, comment and let me know which one you guys liked best! :)

<3




No comments:

Post a Comment