Thursday, August 30, 2012

Wedding Fun!

A few weeks ago, I had the privilege and honor to witness the marriage of two friends from my church here in SD. It was a fairly simple wedding, but very cute and sweet. :)

I also had the honor of making their wedding cake topper!



Now, I've never really made anything bigger than an inch tall. So, this wedding cake topper was a bit of a challenge for me. Not only was I trying something new, thus feeling anxious and nervous about the challenge, I was feeling particularly lazy about making the thing. :P

I think, when it came down to it, I just had to set a time limit for myself, and pressure myself into sitting down and finishing the wedding cake topper.

One of the more difficult aspects of the cake topper was doing research for how I wanted to make the cake topper. At first, I considered using animal figures to replace the bride and groom, but I didn't want to have to go through a ton of details on the animals. Also, I thought doing the bride and groom themselves would be more personal. However, as this was my first time making human figures... I got rather frustrated. Haha. Not only that, I wanted to make it look similar to the actual bride and groom, which proved to be another challenge. I had to get information about the bride, the colors they were using, the dress she was wearing, the type of flowers she had, etc. etc. Usually I make things straight from my imagination, so there's no need to look at a picture and copy anything. But, this time, I had to pay attention to what I was forming.

All in all, wedding cake toppers are quite time consuming and tiring. But fun. Definitely fun.



I stuck pieces of wire through the middle of the figurines because the groom was starting to bend to the side a little bit as I was forming him.

I also added a cork bottom to the base of the topper so that... I dunno, it would seem more professional?  Haha. I wasn't sure if people just simply place clay on top of cake. I suppose that would have been okay as well, right?

The two little birdies I kinda threw in there because I had some extra clay and I thought it would add a nice touch. Haha.


People said that I should try to go into the wedding cake topper business. Maybe go and learn cake making and start decorating cakes. Haha. I'll have to think about that. It would definitely be more lucrative than making little keychains that sell for less than $10 a piece. Haha. But, then again... I think I have to actually get business in order for anything to  happen. Haha.





No comments:

Post a Comment