Sunday, October 12, 2014

One Special Wedding

Hello World!

I'm back with another wedding cake topper!

This one I made this past summer for my best friend's wedding. Out of all the cake toppers I made, this one was, and is, probably my favorite. Unlike my previous cake toppers, I made the body of the people much smaller and shorter than compared to all the other ones. 

Star Wars theme!

Making the body so much smaller and the head so much bigger proved to be difficult to balance (since it was top-heavy), but I think I liked the way it turned out better. When I was first commissioned to make this cake topper, I was asked to make it Star Wars themed, soo... that meant Han Solo and Princess Leia. Haha. XD Hence the reason why the bride's hair is in two buns, rather than what her actual hairstyle was on her wedding day. And hence the reason why the groom is dressed in another outfit rather than a suit.

My main inspiration came from here and here. Of course, I still tried to add elements into the facial features of the people to make them resemble the bride and the groom more. After this project, I came to the solid conclusion that... regardless of the color of the clay that I'm working with... I should always use gloves. Even though other people can't tell... dust gets mixed easily into the clay, and it becomes noticeable... close up... to me. Haha. XD


Unfortunately I don't have many pictures of this wedding cake topper. Because... for the first time... I was part of the bridal party! Haha. I didn't get a chance to actually see the cake topper on top of the cake (Or I didn't have time to pay attention to it), since I was running around for most of the day. Totally exhausting, but totally worth it!

There were many elements of this cake topper that were fun to make. I literally braided three strands of clay to make the buns on the side of the bride's head; the elements for the groom's outfit were detailed, but not too hard to make; I gave the bride a lightsaber to keep her man in check, but gave the groom a gun because, well... you don't see Han Solo using a lightsaber in Star Wars.

My absolute favorite part of this cake topper was the groom's gun. You can't tell in the picture... but actually the gun on the side of the groom is removable! It took me a while to figure it out, but I fashioned a tiny gun and managed to make a holster for his gun. Unfortunately, I didn't really publicize that aspect of the cake topper, so I honestly don't know if people were careful about that part of it. For all I know... that gun could be lost somewhere in the church. Haha.

Well... that's all for this post! Like I said, I was pretty pre-occupied before the wedding and during the wedding... so I wasn't able to take a lot of pictures. I'm pretty sure I finished the cake topper pretty late that night, so I didn't bother to take pictures of individual elements (something that I regret now... Haha).

But here's a picture of the cake topper on top of the cake (Full disclosure - I took it from my friend's album on Facebook. Haha):

Final product on cake! Credits: SC

As always, thanks for reading!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment