Sunday, September 1, 2013

A Little Piece of Home

Hellloo world!
Happy Labor Day weekend! 

This weekend, I decided to take an impromptu trip back up to my hometown (mainly cuz a friend offered a ride.... And why should I turn down a free ride home?? Haha). I've only been home for half a day and already I have the urge to just stay here and not go back to work (don't worry, San Diego folk, I'm not making any rash decisions... Yet).

I was looking around my mom's home office, when I spotted one of my clay creations I made a while back. It happened during one of crafting sessions with a group of church friends a while back. I made the clay sculpture in San Diego, then brought it to NorCal to show my mom. She liked it so much that I just gave it to her, but didn't take any pictures of it. Haha. But now that I'm back for the weekend, I decided to that I wanted to document it. Perhaps add it to my non-existent portfolio. 



The most difficult part of this creation was to keep it centered and keep the glass itself free of fingerprints. The first thing I did was create the foundation of the sculpture by molding a piece of clay to the bottom curvature of the glass.

Then I made and assembled all the pieces (house, bears, stones, grass, etc.) on the foundation, outside of the glass and baked everything before putting it inside the glass jar.

I glued the clay inside the glass in order to prevent it from sliding around.






Although I had a lot of experience making clay bears... these were particularly difficult to make due to its small size.

They were probably a tenth of the size of the clay keychains I make. In other words... really tiny. Haha. XD But they were fun to make, nonetheless. It was also fun thinking of a scene to put them in. Rather than just having one character, it was an entire scene for me to make: a happy bear family in their new home.



I think I mentioned a couple posts before (DIY air freshener) about the glass etching I did with my friends. This is one of the jars that resulted from that crafting session. The design for this was very simple-- just a few clouds along the outside of the jar. I thought up the design for the inside after I had finished making the jar.



When I purchased these glass jars (in the wedding party favors section) they came with little cork caps and twine and pretty cutout labels to go with each jar. I think adding those elements to this project really completed the look, making it truly seem like a "piece of home" in a jar.

Mmmm... not much else I can think of to add to this post. Haha. XD It's also getting rather late, so I should probably head to bed. :P

Thanks for reading!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment